Finding meaning when there may not be any - last weekend part 1
Hello readers,
I love historians. They are determined to find meaning in anything from the past that they come across. Not just any old meaning, but significant meaning. They are probably right most of the time I suppose but last weekend we went to some sights where there has been no end to the speculation, yet the average information board we read ended with "...of course we will never know for sure!" I am of course talking about Stonehenge. Those of you who don't know, there are a whole lot of ancient sites around Stonehenge that are just as important and interesting. The whole area was 'quite significant'. It was great seeing Stonehenge but it seems to me that the best part about it is the fact that nobody knows for sure what it was used for. Interestingly, it has nothing to do with druids (as I have believed for many years thanks to pop culture images) and there is no suggestion that they ever used Stonehenge. There is something about it that makes you think of them though!
BEN WITH BIG ROCK AT THE AVEBURY STONE CIRCLE. COULD THIS ROCK HAVE BEEN MORE SIGNIFICANT BECAUSE IT WAS BIGGER...WE WILL NEVER KNOW!

A SPIRITUAL MOMENT (I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE EXPERIENCED SOME COSMIC ENERGY)

ROCKS WITH EERIE BACKGROUND
AT ONE WITH THE CIRCLE OF ROCKS

THE WONDROUS STONEHENGE (IT IS ACTUALLY VERY COOL TO SEE IT)
MORE EERIE SKY
RACHAEL AT ENTRANCE TO WEST KENNET LONG BARROW (OLD GRAVESITE)
BEN STANDING ON OLD BURIAL SITE (INSIDE BARROW). IS THAT WRONG?
I HAD TO WRITE SOMETHING ABOUT THIS ONE. THIS IS SILBURY HILL. IT WAS MAN MADE AND IS BETWEEN AVEBURY AND WEST KENNET LONG BARROW. THERE IS JUST SOMETHING IMPRESSIVE ABOUT A MEANINGLESS EXERCISE ON A GRAND SCALE. ITS KIND OF LIKE WHEN PEOPLE DO SOMETHING INSANE LIKE HOP ON ONE FOOT FOR 300 HOURS JUST TO GET IN THE RECORD BOOKS. I WISH SOME HISTORIAN COULD PROVE THAT THEY JUST BUILT THE HILL FOR FUN, THAT WOULD BE THE COOLEST REASON OF ALL. (ALTHOUGH THEY BELIEVE IT MAY HAVE BEEN A CEREMONIAL HILL USED FOR....BLAH, BLAH, BLAH!)

The next Blog I will include some of the great Cathedrals that we went and saw as well. It was a great weekend. Hope you are all doing well. Hello to all the PAC guys, in year 12 especially. Got your comment Stepa, thanks. Hope that you guys are well. Send me an email if you want.
b.newton@pnc.com.au
Everyone else as well of course. We love you guys and miss everyone. Rachael goes on holidays tomorrow although I have another week to go. I talked her into going to Dublin by herself (very cool), so Im sure she will put that on the Blog when she gets back next week. Then we are off to Scotland! Yeah!
Take Care.
Ben and Rach
PS - Although I have argued for medieval architecture to return in the modern world I don't really think that ancient Neolithic architecture is going to make a comeback. Then again, its very open and airy (unless you have died and moved into West Kennet Long Barrow). Maybe the man made hill could be a modern day garden feature.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home