Travel and the meaning of life

Monday, February 07, 2005

Modern Vs Medieval (The final showdown)

There is something that is fantastically impressive about Canterbury cathedral. In the same vein as last weeks question I ask us all to consider why? Why is it that this type of building is so impressive? What makes it so special? In a rather incongruent weekend I spent Saturday with Rachael (who has unfortunately contracted my flu, but do not fear for me as if she does not get better soon I shall cast her outside the city gates for fear of recontagion) at Canterbury, but Sunday I left Rachael at home (to her great delight) while I went off to see the Tate Modern gallery. So I ask the question, which is better, Medieval or Modern?

(This is to be continued as we are having problems with our internet at home. Sorry if we haven't responded to any emails. We should be back online in the next couple of days. Thanks guys.)



US IN THE WAY OF A VERY NICE BUILDING


CANTERBURY CATHEDRAL

THE CATHEDRALS BACKYARD

GREAT ANGLES

RACHAEL AND THE MEDIEVAL VERANDAH

THE OLD MEDIEVAL WESTGATE GETTING IN THE WAY OF TRAFFIC

ST MARTIN'S CHURCH (THE OLDEST CHURCH IN ENGLAND. ALTHOUGH ITS BEEN REBUILT YOU CAN STILL SEE SOME OF THE ORIGINAL WALL FROM 700AD)

MILLENIUM BRIDGE AND THE TATE MODERN GALLERY (ITS A CONVERTED POWER STATION)

THE TURBINE HALL (IMPRESSIVE FOYER OF THE GALLERY. IT HOUSED A SOUND INSTALLATION THAT MADE THE ROOM SOUND LIKLE IT STILL HAD MACHINERY IN IT! mmmmmmmmmm)

2 Comments:

Blogger Orchard P Dirk said...

Well, it is a difficult question for a girl like me to answer, because a girl like I has only seen little bits of the world and not so many wondrous things as you have. But I will say that a building that is impressive is a very old warehouse that is in the city of New York, which looks very old and not so beautiful, but then it does look beautiful because of that ugly quality, however I would not like to live inside of it.

But I wanted also to thank you for visiting my site, which is about my own journey that is smaller than yours, but it is my own and that is what we are all about in the world that we live in. I hope that you both do not keep getting the flu because it's like I always say, "The flu is something that is not a great treat to have."

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just Mosese and Alessandro from school saying "HELLO!". Alessandro's email is al_di_rocco@hotmail.com
He would like your email address please. Take it easy, stay free.

Tootle - loo and Tally-hoe
Mosese and Alessandro

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home