Travel and the meaning of life

Sunday, May 15, 2005

Observations

Lonely Ben...

The truth is that I have very little to report this week as unfortunately my wife has run off with Jodes Podes and they are gallivanting around the Lake district and Scotland. Their last report consisted of Rachael telling me how popular they had been proving in the local pub in Sterling and how despite the fact that she was making sure everyone could see her wedding ring that an Italian bloke had still tried a few lines on her including telling her she was "Bella"...Which I think means beautiful. That's good to know Rach...Thanks.

I have been slaving away during this week to pay for this trip but managed to go out on Friday night out to the Borough Market to have a farewell drink and meal with my work friends. I went to a pub that Shakespeare went to. It was a great time. I don't officially finish until the end of this week at the school.

Since I haven't really been anywhere I thought that I'd just share a few of the things I have learned about the UK since I arrived.

1. Most recently I have learned something very important for any of you likely to visit. (I have told a couple of you this). In Oz, if you see someone during the day you might say, "hello", "G'day" or possibly "How's it goin?", all of these are quite reasonable in my opinion. Over here they say "You all right?". On the surface that seems OK, but I have been worried for the last four months that I, in fact, did not look alright and that there may be something wrong with me. At first I thought the work guys were just making sure that I knew what was going on, as in "You all right with everything?", but as time progressed I became quite paranoid. It seems to me that I would be likely to say "You all right?" if I saw someone fall off their bike or trip over or if they looked anything other than alright...but there you go. You should try it at home there and tell me how you go.

2. Chips over here are called Crisps. Except if you get hot 'chips', they are normal 'chips'. Unless you buy a sandwich that comes with 'chips', your 'chips' will probably be 'crisps.'

3. Number two you can get over but my first packet of crisps was purple. We all know what flavour that should be...Salt and Vinegar. Imagine the look on my face when I got the first taste of Bacon. To make matters worse the Blue packet is 'Cheese and onion' and the Green packet is 'Plain', although they do alternate between the two depending on the company. So what's Chicken? Well I don't know, I gave up eating them ages ago when I was fooled one too many times.

4. Our icecream company is called "Streets". Here its called "Walls". (If they amalgamated the companies they would have a city."



Well that's all I have to report. This is a bit short so I thought that I would just let you know that over here I have been teaching Design and Technology (which is your old woodwork etc...) and a really great subject that we dont have back in Oz called "Graphic Products". Its kind of a product design course for the year 10 school certificate equivalent where they design packaging and advertising. The major project for my year ten's (who are actually the age of our year nines back home, as they go to year 13 here if you know what I mean) was to design and make a confectionary box package. It could be an Easter Box or like a normal box of chocolates. Here is some proof that I have been teaching something.







I guess Ill be all alone this week. I have been playing far too much 'snake' on my mobile - top score 1856. Sadly I have also been watching 'Teacher's TV', a cable TV station all about teaching. I think that Im taking a break from the profession just in time.

Will put up Rach and Jodes adventure when they get back later this week then next week...8 countries in 15 days. Following that I have booked 15 days in Spain with a hire car. Then four nights in Salzburg with my uncle and auntie for some of it which should be great.

Love and miss you guys.

Ben

PS - I welcome any and all comments that will assist me through my lonely time.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

Hey Newton
Have you tried a Wall's Tropical Solaro yet? (I'm fairly sure that's what they're called) They're fabbo (Fabbo's a word i learnt on TV this morning - Now i know your going to steal it like you do everything else i say [eg I have a Q that needs an A])

Cheers
Mykeyv

3:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home