Travel and the meaning of life

Thursday, December 30, 2004

The British Museum (History...its so yesterday!)

FRONT OF THE BRITISH MUSEUM



Today Rachael and I went to the British Museum. It is one of the world's great museums (I'm told) and since we spent the better part of four hours there and left a great many rooms unseen they must be right. Even though this may offend all of you great history buff's, (and I wouldn't want to do that since we all know that history buffs throw the best parties), it becomes a bit same old after a while. The first thousand year old thing is cool until you find a 2000 year old thing and so on it goes until you see some 20000 year old rock that they think might have been an axe and that really wrecks the time comparison that you were basing your evaluations on. At any rate we both loved it and give it a big wrap - we are intending on returing again. I have some observations from today's outing regarding history.

1) As can be clearly seen from the following two pictures, Rachael and I may in fact descend from a long line of egyptian rulers. (This may also explain our love of the famous Bangles song)




2) Historical artefacts have a morbid facination with death.

3) Interesting fact for the day. Scientists have discovered that many of the ancient egyptians, including the rulers, suffered from bad, rotting teeth, because there were too many hard things in their diet (including sand). Having experienced a tooth ache once myself this may explain their morbid facination with death.

4) A Q that needs an A.
Q - Why did they choose to wrap mummies in bandages.
A - Is it possible that they felt bad at not having got there sooner. "If only we had been able to administer these bandages in time then he could have been saved!"


5) Q - If Im not egyptian could I in fact be of greek origin.



6) Q - Is it just me or is the British Museum filled with stuff from other countries?

7) Q - Is it weird to rebuild a building inside another building?



8) It seems to be generally accepted that the people buried inside of the different Sarcophagi (I did check the spelling of the word) were important people at the time. The bigger and more elaborate the sarcophagus, the more important. Having seen this my burial wishes are as follows. 1 - Cremation (I dont want to accidently be buried alive) 2 - If number one isn't possible then put me in a huge sarcopagus with the words "supreme ruler of the world" accross the chest. This is doubly excellent because I would be quickly dug up and placed in a museum where I could escape if I was buried alive.

My final serious question is this. Is there anything that humans haven't collected as being important historical artefacts? I think weve got most of it. With this in mind, have a look around you now. What do you think is likely to become an important historical artefect? Years from now what will those things say about you? Scary thought hey!

Rach and I hope that you all are enjoying the Blog. Thanks for reading and keep leaving your comments, we are enjoying reading them. Remember to send us an email if you want us to respond as we don't have all of your email addresses. Happy new year, since you will get there 11 hours before us. Rachael and I will be watching the fireworks here near the London Eye on new years eve and going to the New Years Day parade near trafalgar square the next day.

We love you all.

Ben and Rach

PS - We are still collecting Monopoly photos and hope to make up a full board once we get home. Kind of a cool way to remember the trip. Your comment about 'free' parking is noted Charlotte and may become 'comparably inexpensive' parking. Hey, send us an email and your details again Charlotte as we forgot to bring them with us(oops) and we want to catch up when you get here.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

Number 4 (and I quote)
"A Q that needs an A."
Mr Newton, How dare you steal my saying without telling the people of the internet where you got it from. If you were marking one of my assignments and i did that, i would fail due to plagiarism. So I will publish my name for the readers out there so that you don't get into trouble (in true bibliography style)

Michael Van Raaphorst [former student of B.Newton] 2004.

Thankyou

PS - Have a great New Year

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home